Its true that the latest Surface devices dont have the latest connector.
MS has gotten a lot of flack for that from what I have been reading.
The solution has been found and it looks great. MS has filed a new patent to use the Surface connector to allow USB C connections.
They werent happy with the hardware at hand so instead of releasing something sub-standard they held off, tech’ed something really cool and then released it. Well done!
I can’t count the number of times I have woken up in the night, cold sweats, wondering if I had defragged my hard drive or forgotten to run an AV scan after downloading lolcats. OK, Im not being serious but imagine this: Windows can do that for you.
If you setup automatic maintenance it will run updates, security and diagnostic tools for you. Pick the time and never wake up again – at least not with geek fear.
Here is how:
- in Control Panel
- go to Security and Maintenance
- Click Maintenance
- Select Change Maintenance Settings
- Pick a time
- Select the checkbox
- Go back to sleep and dream of lolcatz
Its true. You can now get the Linux Ubuntu release on the Windows store. SUSE and Redhat are on the way. Fedora should not be far away either. They all run on the WSL environment which allows Linux to run on top of the WIndows OS
I got another change to play with the Hololens. This time it was at my work. I was able to play a full game of Robot Invasion. This technology makes it look like robots are coming through the walls that surround you. Highly immersive, well designed game that was a real blast to play. They also have an educational program that shows you how big dinosaurs are. Also very cool. The future of AR keeps getting better
Hard to read – I know. Great to use – i think so
The next gen console specs have been released and they are beefy to say the least
The overall system specs come out like this:
— 6 Teraflop GPU clocked at 1.172 Ghz
— 12GB of GDDR5 memory
— 326GB/s of memory bandwidth
— 7 billion transistors in the system chip
— 1TB Hard Disk Drive
— True 4K
— 8+ million pixels
— Wide color gamut
— Premium Dolby Atmos sound
— 4K UHD Blu-ray playback
— All Xbox One accessories and games work on Xbox One X
YES! All the accessories will work from my now old Xbox One!! Great news on top of a great job Xbox and Phil Spencer
Dont believe me? Check out these great videos from Microsoft:
The link also has a video on artificial intelligence
See – i wasn’t wasting my youth on rot-mind TV: I was learning
Its been out for a while now…
Ive been playing…
Check out some cool new things
- Dynamic Lock – you can set a Bluetooth device to lock your PC when you leave the room. It is found in the Settings- Account sign in section
- Storage Sense – keep your system free from temp files. It removes unused temp files and cleans out the recycle bin after 30 days. It is found in Settings- System- Storage Sense
- Disk Cleanup – Not new but can be used to clean up the files left over after the upgrade to the Creator Update
- Verbose Restart – Get more information on when an restart is needed. It is found in System – Updates and Security
- Active hours – now can be up to 18 hours of no-shut-down-im-gaming-or-working-time. Found in System- Update and Security
Outlook searches have come a long way. In the bad old days they took forever and then didn’t find anything. Not so anymore… usually. With indexed searches the results are fast and accurate. Assuming of course that your indexing is working properly. If not you can rebuild the index. Here’s how:
- Launch Outlook 2016
- Click File
- Click Options
- In the Search section click on Indexing Options
- Click Advanced – you will need admin creds here
- Click rebuild
- Once the indexing finishes your search will be back!
Note – there are lots of other “goodies” in the Advanced section so please feel free and poke around